Saturday, October 17, 2015

Everybody has a story

Today I had to run to the library to take a picture and while I was there I looked around a bit, like I always do.  I am a big fan of libraries and could spend hours there if you let me.  Anyway, I was looking at the papers and there was a little book sitting there and on the cover it said something about words being powerful.  I can't exactly remember.

Needless to say, I was intrigued.  I opened the book and there were a couple of things that people had written down.  One of the sentences was this, "There is no one in the world you couldn't love, if you could only read their story."  Think about that.  I just thought, whoa.  That is so good.  So powerful.  So true.

As the editor at a small town newspaper, I always say that the best part of my job is the people that I get to meet.  As cliche as it sounds, everybody has a story.  I remember some of my favorite stories - a business woman who became goat farmer, a story of two sisters that battled cancer, a foreign exchange student from China, etc, etc, etc.  I LOVE to hear people's stories.  I like to know what makes them tick.

I think sometimes, because of human nature being the way it is, we are too judgmental.  I can admit that I am.  I think something or say something and think, why did I say that? Why do I think that?  I don't even know that person.  UGH!  It's a work in progress.

Everybody has things going on that people don't know about it.  Everybody has inner battles.  Everybody has things that make them the way they are.  If we truly knew these things, do you think we would be more understanding?  Compassionate?  Forgiving?  I think it would be a safe bet that we would.


No comments: