Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Green 5K

Way back in August, we went to North Liberty to participate in the Green 5K, a 5K that promotes organ donation.  It was two years ago at that run that we met Steph and family for the first time ever.  It was two years ago that we were anxiously awaiting her testing to see if she would get to be Blake's donor.

For obvious reasons, this run is near and dear to our heart.  It literally was a life-changing day for us.  Not only that, but the guy that is in charge of the run received a kidney from his mom.  Before the race, he always talks about his mom and about the life he's gained because of organ donation. I cry.  Every time.  Every single time.

I look at Blake and I think, they didn't think he'd make it past birth and look at him.  His life that's he's gained because of Steph's gift.  Getting to do normal kid stuff.  I can't put into words what that feels like.  Blakers is my little inspiration.  I love this pic that Steph happened to get before the run.
They have a Garden of Life.  Pictured are living donors, deceased donors and recipients.  They each say a little something about the person on the sign.  Again, it is way emotional for me.  
 
 The race itself wasn't too pretty.  Aaron and I were S-L-O-W, but we did it and that's the main thing.  Our friend, Jay, ran it too, but he's super speedy and I think he finished third or something really good like that.
 One of the things I like about this race is they do kids races based on their age.  Bowen LOVES to run and he was super stoked to do it.  Blake has this thing where he hates to be the center of attention, so he didn't run.  Bowen won his age group!  So did Brody!  And Brody did it with one foot.  Seriously, isn't that the strangest picture ever?!
Jay and his buddies
 All the kids were given medals and ribbons after their races.  Yes, even Blakers got one.  Probably because he's so cute!
 

I snapped this photo of Steph and Blake when we got back to the house.  I love how much Blake loves Steph.  I love how he knows he has Steph's kidney.  I love that we are all bonded for life. :)

No comments: