Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The way I see it...

Things I've Learned So Far...
I have logged a lot of miles on the road the past five weeks and sometimes my mind has wandered to what my life is like now. Things I've learned from what's going on in my life.


It's funny how life sometimes turns out, isn't it? If you would have told me my freshmen year in high school that I would end up marrying Aaron, I probably would have laughed. If you would have told me that we'd someday have four kids, including a set of twin boys, I probably wouldn't have been able to stop laughing at how crazy that sounded. And now? I can't imagine my life any other way!


I've learned that life does indeed throw you curveballs. Ever since we heard those words at the ultrasound, "There's two babies in there," life has been one big curveball. Completely unexpected, but it is what it is. I think sometimes you need to keep battling and fouling off pitches because eventually you will be able to drive that ball into the outfield (pardon the baseball metaphor, but it is that time of the year!). I guess what I mean is that sometimes things are different than what you had envisioned, but that's ok.


After being around the hospital the past month I've realized that we are not in a good situation with Blake. But, there's people that are dealing with a heck of a lot worse than us. The hospital brings in parents whose children have had kidney transplants to talk to us and ask them questions. The list of medical issues with them is so long. I actually feel like we lucked out with Blake because I have seen first hand that things could have been so much worse. That's one of those life lessons I hope I can carry with me, somebody always has things worse than you do.


Finally, the power of positivity and acceptance. While I admit that things haven't always been easy, my husband and I made the decision that we were going to be positive about this. This kidney stuff is just a part of who Blake will be. This is our reality. The sooner we accept it and do all we can to help get him out of the hospital and then be comfortable at home, the better. The resilience in that little fighter of ours is amazing! He has handled and tolerated everything that they've done to him and for him.


There are no exact dates or timetables that have been set yet about when we get to bring Blake home, but it will hopefully be no more than a few weeks. Things always have a way of working themselves out and they will, but that's just the way I see it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:):) Jamie you & Aaron continue to AMAZE me daily!
Jay

Gregori Family Blog said...

Jamie - You and Aaron are strong-willed people and have great family and friend support. Keep you chins up! You guys are doing a great job so far and I'm sure you will continue doing a great job!