Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The way I see it...

Apples
You all know I LOVE fall! I have professed my love for this wonderful, too-short season many times. The beautiful colors and the cooler temperatures are high on my list of likes. It's the time of year where you get to bust out the sweatshirts and crunch in the leaves and start drinking hot chocolate again. At my house, it's also the start of "soup season". I love making a big pot of soup, especially on the weekends.

All these things aside, perhaps my biggest love of fall is apples. One of the greatest things about fall for this girl is going to pick my own apples with my kids at an apple orchard. Nothing taste better to me then fresh apples picked right off the tree. I think it's such a fun, family experience that doesn't involve anything but you and mother nature.

Here's where the problem comes in: I was all set to go to the apple orchard last Saturday and my husband was not. His comment to me was something about that's why they have grocery stores. My reply was something to the effect of it not being about convenience, it's about the experience. We were both not happy campers with the other one. In the end, we ended up going to the grocery store (we had to pick-up some stuff anyway) and I got three different kind of apples.

Don't worry, I will still be heading to the apple orchard. I can't stand going through the fall and not getting some fresh apples. We love to eat them raw or bake some yummy desserts. Last year I tried my hand at an apple butter recipe that I made in the crock pot and it was delicious! I hadn't had apple butter since I was a kid.

Here's hoping for more fall days like last Sunday, a picture perfect fall day that was just begging you to be outside to do something (like go to an apple orchard!), but that's just the way I see it.

No comments: