Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The way I see it...

Big Birthday...and School Starting
Well, I hit a big milestone in my life last week. I had a zero birthday! Yep, the big 3-0. It’s weird because everybody kept asking me if I felt any different. How does one day make you feel completely different?

Needless to say, I still feel the same. Actually, when you say “thirty” out loud, it sounds very adult-like. I know I have two kids and all, but saying my age just makes me sound more grown-up I guess.

I know people always say that you’re only as old as you feel or age is just a number. I think they’re right. In my mind, I still only feel like I’m 22 or 23, so I think that’s a good thing.
Having my birthday also made me think about school. School NEVER EVER used to start before my birthday and now it does. That’s so wrong to me. Why does school start mid-August? It seems like no matter how early school starts, it still gets done about the same time every year (last year’s horrible winter aside).

Why does every school get to pick what day their start school? What if the state just said, this is the day everybody starts school and what you do with the rest of your school calendar is up to you.

Another negative for me, the Iowa State Fair. School should not start while the State Fair is still going on. It just shouldn’t. To me, the fair is about fun and vacation, but if you start school, it’s just not the same. My husband said he had a few students missing from his classes because they had to show at the fair.

My dad, a high school principal, completely disagrees with me on this subject. He thinks kids are ready to come back in August, but don’t want to be there in May. I guess he may have a point. However, I just feel like school in mid-August is robbing kids of their summer, but that’s just the way I see it.

No comments: