Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The way I see it...

The teenager and the cell phone
I had a revelation this week! I cannot be a mother to a teenage daughter! I know you’re probably thinking it’s too late for that, but I was thinking I’d just keep Jenna four forever. I know, I know, it’s not a possibility, but I had quite the experience this last week and now am wishing she would stay that young.

My two cousins from Wisconsin came down and spent eight days with us. We all had a great time and they got to experience life with two kids under the age of five, which I think was good for them. I, on the other hand, got to experience life with a pre-teen (12) and teen (16).

I just have one small (ok, probably not so small) beef with the 16 year old. Put the cell phone down!!! Non-stop. The texting and checking facebook was non-stop. She never went anywhere without her phone. Texting at the the lunch or supper table! I know if it would have been me back-in-the-day checking my phone at the table my dad would have freaked out over that. He doesn’t even like it when you wear a hat at the table because he thinks that is disrepectful.

I know I could have said something, but I’m not her mother and I didn’t want to be viewed as such. I just dealt with it, even though internally I was going nuts! It took all my energy not to yell, “The world will not end if you don’t have your phone for a whole 20 minutes. Trust me!”

Remember a few months ago I said I was obsessed with my phone? I’m not. That was complete and utter bologna. My cousin is obsessed. I am not.

Saturday night we were in Cedar Rapids to watch my husband coach and we decided to go swimming at the hotel pool. Well, the 12 year old and I decided to go swimming. My cousin said she didn’t want to get all wet. I think that was code for, “Jamie, if I go swimming then I won’t be able to have my phone with me. If I don’t have my phone with me then I won’t be able to check it every two seconds.”

So, she didn’t swim. She sat on the side of the hot tub with her legs in and her phone in hand. I just shook my head. That was day six and by then, although it made me crazy, I was getting used to it.

Even though I’m sort of joking about this in my column, I’m actually sort of serious when I say that I think this is a problem the younger generation has. I think the constant need to be “in touch” is a little scary, but that’s just the way I see it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jamie- You will be a great mother to Jenna when she is a teenager, because YOU are her mother now. You will be there to guide her and you will be there to tell her to put the phone down- just like your dad would do. Of course, when she is a teenager, I cannot imagine what technology will be like.
It's sad that your cousin missed out on some great memories, swimming with her cousins, because she couldn't put her phone down for an hour.