Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The way I see it...

10K Crazy
It’s official. With the birth of these babies, my brain cells went right out the window. I’m telling you this because the next statement I’m about to make will be shocking. Are you ready? Here goes: I, Jamie, am running a 10K this weekend. That’s 6.2 miles. See what I’m saying? I’ve officially gone crazy!!

I’m not sure if you remember my column way back where I mentioned that I have this fear of failure? Well, let me refresh your memory. I was thinking about doing an 8K in Newton last spring, but I was a big chicken and didn’t sign-up for it because I didn’t think I’d be able to do it. While I’m refreshing your memory, let me also remind you that the farthest I have ever run in my life was a 5K (3.1 miles).

So what did I do? I got this cockamamie idea in my head this summer that I should go and sign-up for something that is an even farther distance than the previous race that I was scared to run. Are you all confused on how my brain works? Me too.
Last year, I was in Mankato for my nephew’s birthday and the first year of the Mankato Marathon took place (along with a half-marathon, 10K and 5K). We were close enough to the race that we walked a couple blocks and cheered on the runners. I remember my pregnant self thinking, ‘I want to do this next year.’

That was before, well, EVERYTHING. Before we found out we were having twins. Before we found out of the seriousness of the entire situation with our then Baby A. Before Blake got transported to Iowa City. Before he started dialysis. Before he spent 70 days there. Before we would, as a family, adjust to this new life.

When I think about all that and everything we’ve gone through and continue to go through, does running 6.2 miles seem that hard? Honestly, as much as I have this love-hate relationship with running, it just doesn’t. I think about our little fighter and everything he’s been through and me running a race that might push me a little (or a lot) just doesn’t seem like any big thing.

For the 10K, there was a cap of 750 runners. If I finish 750 does it really matter? Ok, for the record I will try really hard to not to the very last person, but somebody has to, right?!

I think it’s going to be a fun weekend. Aaron is running it “with” me. By “with” I mean he’ll be way ahead of me. We also have a few friends of ours that are running it too. Mind over matter. This is just a small obstacle compared to everything else we’ve been through, but that’s just the way I see it.

3 comments:

Gregori Family Blog said...

It doesn't matter if you are 1st or 750th, you are doing it and that's all that counts! Good luck and kick some butt!!

Brooke Stevens said...

Good luck Jame!! You will do great!

Mary or Jerod said...

I didn't realize this is why you are going to Mankato! You'll do great- I know you'll finish and I know you won't be last- this is just one more thing you'll be awesome at, along with baking, being a fantastic friend, and amazing mother/wife to your fam. I'm excited to hear how you do :)