Friday, December 17, 2010

the way I see it...

Lights just seemed brighter...
Do you think everything seems bigger and brighter and just better when you’re a kid? When I was growing up, I just know that there were Christmas lights all over the my hometown. I always looked forward to driving around town with the heater on high and Christmas carols playing on the radio and enjoying all the pretty lights. There was a home about five miles outside of town right along highway 9 that always went a little over the top. That place was always my favorite!

Now that I’m an adult, it seems like people don’t decorate their houses with Christmas lights the way they used to. I realize people string a strand of lights along their gutters, but I’m talking about going a little overboard. Very, very few people do this anymore.

Did things really seem better and bigger because I was a kid? Or, are people just not wanting the hassle of putting everything up and then having the same hassle in taking things down?
You all know my love for snow. Yeah, yeah...I know I’m in the minority on this one. Last weekend was great! Yes, I know it was freezing cold and windier than all get out, but things are white now. White and festive and I just feel more in the Christmas spirit. I’m not going to lie, the brown Christmas thing was really bringing me down.

We made some Christmas cookies, decorated some homemade ornaments and watched Christmas movies at our house. It was just so nice to be all cuddled up under a blanket just relaxing.
The bad news about the storm? I didn’t get any shopping done! Yikes! I’m embarassed to even say how much shopping I have done. I think I have four presents total. Two presents for each of the kiddos. I know. Terrible.

The thing is, I know some of what I want to get, but other things I’m not so sure about. I really like to have my husband there when I’m picking out things for the kids because sometimes he’ll think of a great gift that I haven’t thought of. He’s been busy on the weekends and our schedules just haven’t jived yet, so hopefully we’ll figure out a time (and soon!) as to when we can do pretty much all of our shopping.

In the meantime, I can’t stress out about it. That’s not going to help anything or get my shopping done any faster, so I’ll just continue to enjoy the Christmas season, but that’s just the way I think it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me you're on the right track...that you are enjoying the wonderful feelings of Christmas. That you are making memories with your children. I am THAT house this year- no Christmas lights or even a wreath on the door. Yet. Many houses in our neighborhood are decked out. They look wonderful. Thanks for the reminder. :)