Saturday, December 18, 2010

Oh BoyS!!

The day I had been looking forward to for what felt like forever was December 16th, the day of our ultrasound. Even though we weren't going to find out what we were having, I just always like to see the unborn baby doll on the screen, it just gives me a sense of calm.

So, I was up at 5 AM on Thursday, antsy and anxious for our 8:30 AM appointment and it seemed like everything took forever that morning. We got right in about 8:30 AM and the ultrasound began. The gal doing the ultrasound started doing measurements and looking at the head, heart, etc., etc.

The gal doing the ultrasound did say like three times, "wow this baby is moving around a lot." 45 minutes into the ultrasound she stops, looks at Aaron and me and says, "Is this your first ultrasound?"
Us: "Yep."
Her: "Um...there's two babies in there. You're having twins! Congratulations! I'm so sorry, I'm going to need to start all over, so I'll give you two some time while I go reschedule my next appointment."

She left the room and Aaron's response was sort of shocked and sarcastic, "Awesome." And, "You were right Jame. You knew the whole time. You were right." Mine was tears. Lots and lots of tears. Aaron said he figured that's what my reaction would be and asked what the tears meant and I told him they were "holy shit" tears. :)

I'm not sure if I ever wrote this on the blog, but from the start of the pregnancy, I just had a feeling I was having twins. It was so different than Jenna and Brody, I figured twins was the only thing it could be. And, the whole ultrasound I was waiting for her to tell us there was two. I was about two seconds away from just saying, "so there's really only one?!" when she announced there was two.

The gal felt so bad. She said she had never had it happen to her before that a couple as far along as us didn't know they were having twins. We weren't going to find out the sex of the babies, but since it was twins and kind of a crazy situation, we decided to. Baby A...a boy. Baby B...a boy. Oh BoyS!! That was harder for Aaron and me to wrap our heads around than the twins part.

Anyway, since this is a high risk pregnancy (I so hate that term, it sounds scary), we learned we will have a lot of ultrasounds and they will monitor everything very closely to watch for problems and signs of pre-term labor.

The good news is that there are two amniotic sacs and two placentas!! It's a much higher risk pregnancy if the twins are sharing a placenta, so that was good news to hear. Currently, Baby A (on my left side) is head down and Baby B (on my right side) is breach.

Everything looks good with the boys. I'm 21 weeks, but measuring at 23. One of the twins has a slightly dilated kidney which they will look at more at our comprehensive ultrasound in Des Moines in two weeks. The doctor assured us it was nothing to panic about and just something that they and the pediatrician will monitor once the baby is born.

We feel so excited and overwhelmed and I don't know if it will really even hit us until the twins are born! I feel like there's so much to learn, so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of reading on multiples.

We feel very blessed and this is definitely quite the Christmas present!

4 comments:

Angie Brooker said...

Congrats! I think I would have had a similar reaction to yours. Holy cow! Very exciting though! I hope the rest of your pregnancy is a little more uneventful! :)

Mary or Jerod said...

I still can't believe it, and I smile every time I think about it. I'm so happy for your family (Jerod still feels a little sorry that there will be two at once- he's such a guy), and we're both glad that everything is looking good. By the way, I know I'm pregnant, too, but don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything EVER! Besides, it's just me and JB so I have room and time for playtime with Jenna and Brody if you guys want to take time to hang out by yourselves. Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

As your ultrasound tech said, most couples find out sooner than half way through the pregnancy that they're having twins and have all that time to let it sink in and then prepare, so I'm sure this news is a little overwhelming right now. The first few years will be a lot chaotic...but you are so blessed with these two new baby boys on the way. You and Aaron are great parents. Jenna and Brody will be great little helpers, too. :) ~Shanda

Gregori Family Blog said...

I had another friend that was had the "HOLY SHIT" feelings! Her youngest at the time was 9 and she would be starting over with 2 more! I'm sure you and Aaron will do just great with the babies!