Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The way I see it...

Weddings
I hope I never ever ever have to plan another wedding for myself! Besides the fact that I have a husband (whom I adore), I just really don’t think I could do it.

I got reaquainted with all the wedding “stuff” last weekend with a trip to see my family in Cherokee. My sister is getting married in May and she had some final decisions to make about dresses and it seemed like the perfect time to get things finalized with her matron of honor being there.

We went to a place in Cherokee that I had already been to with my sister and we were there for two or three hours. I honestly don’t know how long, but it felt like forever and time seemed to just go on and on and on forever.

Dresses for the bride, dresses for the bridesmaids, dresses for the flower girl (my daughter). We looked at dresses. We tried on dresses. We looked at veils. We looked at tiaras. I’m exhausted all over again just thinking about it! For those of you that haven’t had to help a bride try on dresses lately, let me fill you in on a secret....those things are heavy. Like really heavy, especially depending on the type of fabric that you get. Anyway, I’m happy to announce that we made final decisions on all the dresses.

My wedding was just seven years ago, but I don’t remember the planning being so daunting. Maybe I have selective memory or maybe I’m just getting old, I don’t know.

I was not a high-maintenance bride. You see these shows on television that show crazy brides that have to spend $80,000 or some outrageous amount on their weddings. That just wasn’t me. It’s not my personality.

I realize the symbol of the wedding and what takes place that day is important, but at the same time, it’s still only one day. The marriage is all the great/hard/fun stuff that comes after the wedding day, but that’s just the way I see it.

No comments: