Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The way I see it...

A Labor Day Trip Westward
We were lucky enough to get out of town for a few days over the Labor Day weekend. The Burdorfs traveled west to Sioux City to see my husband’s parents and a few friends while we were in town.

My husband and I both attended college in Sioux City and lived there for a few years after we got married before moving here to State Center. Because of that fact, we still have some friends that live there and we were able to hook-up with them and catch-up for awhile.

One of our friends just bought a house and another has a little boy about our son’s age (who we had never seen). Isn’t it fun to go and see your friends that you haven’t seen in way too long? We knew them at the point in our lives when we were all carefree college students who didn’t have a ton of responsiblity. Fast forward seven years and we’re having kids, buying a house or getting married. It’s kind of fun to see each other as “grown-ups.”

I always enjoy going back to Sioux City to see how much the town (ok, I know it’s called a city, but I think of it as a town) has changed. It’s amazing! Even though there are probably 75-80,000 people that lived there, it never felt that big. You could go to the movie theatre or to a game and see somebody you knew or at least recognized.

Although it was a great six years in my life and I do like it over there and miss so many friends, I just couldn’t live in the “city.” I’m a small town girl. That’s how I grew up and after a brief stint in Sioux City, I’m back to small town life. Sure, it’s not always the most convenient. It would be nice just be able to run to Target if you needed to and be there and home again in half an hour.

That’s just a small thing compared to all the wonderful things about small towns - knowing your neighbors, feeling safe with your kids, the great caring people and no stoplights! I was honestly annoyed at how long it took us to get places over the weekend. I’m just used to getting across town in five minutes and that’s the way I like it.

Small town living seems to be the life for me, but that’s just the way I see it.

No comments: