Thursday, November 14, 2013

The last 48 hours

The last 48 hours have been tough.  I'm not going to lie. Still on the roller coaster.

On Tuesday morning, at about 2:00 AM, Blake got really uncomfortable really fast.  We thought maybe his tummy wasn't tolerating his increase of feeds, so they slowed it down.  A couple of hours later, we had to shut them completely off.  Then, the theory was that he hadn't pooped for 24 hours and that was causing discomfort.

On Tuesday we had an x-ray and an ultra sound.  They saw a couple of troubling things, but nothing conclusive.  They did a CT scan with contrast late in the afternoon and discovered that the stent that was at the bottom of the kidney had moved up to the middle of his kidney.

They were able to get it back in place without going to the OR.  Problem solved, right?!  Or so we thought...

On Wednesday, we noticed that Blake's belly looked every more distended than it had the previous day.  By the time rounds were over, he almost had the pregnant lady shelf of a belly.  What was the scariest is that Wednesday morning, there was no urine in either of his catheters.  Urine is a sure sign that the kidney is working and to not see it, panic sets in.

Another ultrasound was ordered.  Again, they weren't happy with what they saw.  In the hall around 10:15 were two transplant surgeons, the nephrology team, the PICU team and the urology team and they were whispering.  You know that's never a good sign.

Next thing I know somebody came in to get my consent for Blake to go back into surgery.  They just needed to see what was going on in there.  I broke down.  I knew it was coming, but I cried anyway.  Poor resident, he didn't know what to do, so I told him just to go on with his explanation.

I wasn't scared or anything.  I'm confident in our team that they will do what they need to do to fix our Blakers.  It's just that I felt SO BAD for Blake.  I wished at that moment that I could have just traded him places and gone through everything for him.

They were in the OR for a long time.  About six hours.  They covered all their bases with ultrasounds.  What they discovered was the stent had indeed done damage to the kidney and it was leaking out the back of it.  No worries, the kidney will heal.  They did have to put in a couple of extra drains, including a nephrostomy, which is a tube that goes right from his kidney outside of his body and the urine drains in a bag.  The good news - none of these are permanent.

Another thing they noticed on the ultrasound was that the main artery to the kidney was being stretched and working way harder than it needed to.  So, they repositioned it and did another ultrasound and were much happier with how things looked.  I can't help but wonder if this urine thing was maybe a blessing in disguise...

I was so glad Aaron and the kids came down.  They were such good distraction for me!  Plus, they were very concerned about Blake, especially Bowen. :)

Today, Blake slept a hole bunch.  I imagine he is sore as all get out.  I finally got some smiles out of him tonite, which made my whole entire day.

Hopefully, we are on the up and up now and can get moved out of the PICU.


Arrnold Klaas said...

Prayers sent your way for the entire family. It's rough when you can't help Blake. God will be with everybody. Love your updates. Arnold Klaas

Pam said...

Thanks for the updates and sharing with us all. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Faith, Hope and Peace. May many Blessing follow. Pam Holtan (A college friend of Jolleen's)