Sunday, September 29, 2013

The way I see it...

**For anybody that might be new to our blog, "The Way I See It" is my editorial that I write in the newspaper every week.  I added the pictures just for the blog. :) **
 
A Humbling Half
I survived the half marathon last weekend in Omaha.  Barely.  You guys, it was so hard, but I did it.  I have a medal to prove it!
 
I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but my left knee bothers me sometimes.  I’m used to it. Well, it started hurting about mile 6, but I was kind of expecting it.  By mile 8, it was really starting to hurt and so I was making mental deals in my head to just try to run until mile ten and if I made it, then I would allow myself to walk.  
 
The good news is I was able to run all the way to mile ten.  The bad news is by that time my left knee felt like someone was sticking hot, sharp knives through the middle of it with every step I took.  
 
My goal was to run the entire thing and to finish around 2:15, which I was on pace to do.  Once I hit mile ten though, I ran a little and walked a little, for the remainder of the race.  
Less than a mile to go.  I was dying.  Not pretty at this point.
 
When I crossed the finish line, I took my very hard-earned medal and bottle of water and sat on the curb.  Aaron came over and I totally lost it.  Yep, I cried.  About a race.  Who am I?  These tears coming from the girl who swore she would never run because it was dumb! 
 
Anyway, in between tears I told Aaron that I was just sad because I’m so competitive with myself that I didn’t want to walk and it just sucked that I had to.  He assured me that my time was still good and he was proud I did it.   
I finished in 2:26.   You know what though?  I did run ten straight miles without walking.  And I finished.  It was hard and it would have been easier to quit, but I didn’t.  Not many people can probably say they went out and covered 13.1 miles on Sunday, but I can. My mental toughness was most definitely tested and I am a stronger person because of those 13.1 miles. It was humbling.  I ran.  I walked. I cried. I laughed at a sign that said, “Smile if you’re not wearing underwear.”  Who can’t smile at that?!  To experience all of those emotions, I’d say it was a good day. 
 
 
You know what was worth all of the pain?  That feeling I got when I crossed the finish line.  Nothing else really matters to me, except that I did it and made myself proud, but that’s just the way I see it. 

 ***********************
 I was a much happier camper after I got my emotions in check.  I hobbled up a bunch of stairs and Aaron took my picture inside Ameritrade Park, which is where the college world series is played AND the place we got to run through.  Pretty cool.  See that medal?  Recycled glass.  One of a kind, so also pretty cool. 
I basically took the week off, but did run/walk for 20 minutes on Thursday.  That was plenty.  I think I need to get back to running slowly and hopefully my knee will feel better.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Great job! I myself do not like to run, however, do it b/c I like the feeling of accomplishment after I finish a run. I think it's awesome that you run knowing how much you used to hate it :) Keep it up!