Thursday, April 18, 2013

Blake's Benefit 5K

As I said at the beginning of the week, we had the Blake Burdorf Benefit 5K Fun Run/Walk last Saturday.  Last fall, our friend Danielle Toyne mentioned doing a 5K for Blake in the spring and I kind of forgot about it until she emailed me asking for dates that worked.
  
Long story short, it was April 13th.  Danielle and her husband, Jesse, her parents (Brad and Sara) and her sister, Emily, were awesome!  They organized and ran the whole thing and things went really well.
Even though the weather wasn't the warmest, at least it was DRY!  Dry days seem to be a rarity these days.  I think Danielle said there was about 185ish people that had registered. Start of the race...
Because it was so chilly, we decided to not push the boys in the stroller.  Aunt Mandy, Uncle Justin and Uncle Adam did a pretty darn good job keeping the kids entertained throughout the race. 
My sister did the Couch to 5K training program and completed her very first 5K for Blakers!  We decided to run it together and I'm so glad I did.
  Jess said to me afterwards,"I know you wanted to run faster."  That wasn't the point.  The point was that I got to run 3.1 miles with my sister. How often will I get to say that?!  I was SO proud of her!
 And how about Aunt Jill?  Miss I just had a baby seven weeks ago!  She ran.  The entire thing.  What a rock star!!
 The three runners...
 This picture cracks me up.  ALL of our kiddos heading back from the park.  Think we need a few more?!  Haha!
 Aaron post race.  Technically, he didn't walk the whole thing, but he did make it his job to talk to a lot of people along the route. :)
Our Iowa State Dance Marathon family came over to support us!  Love those ISU kids!
 
Three boys and a gator.  Heaven.  Pure heaven.
 
Jenna and Brody helped Danielle hand out the medals.
Aaron gave a very nice speech afterwards.  He's good like that.  I get all nervous, so I put speech giving in Aaron's department.
Our friend, Jay, got first in his age group and gave his medal to Blakers.  So cute. :)
 
Our family that's not our blood family, but we love them like they are.  The Morgans.  They are the BEST.  The absolute BEST!!
 We cannot say enough about the community in which we live.  They are so supportive of us.  Their constant encouragement and prayers keeps us going.  A huge, heartfelt thank you to everyone who participated or volunteered and made Blake's Benefit a success!

No comments: