Monday, May 17, 2010

Deadlines!

I love my job at the newspaper, I really do. I get to do a variety of things and meet people in the area that I never would have gotten to meet, if not for the paper.

That being said, my job is killing me right now! Ok, not literally, but it's been a hectic two weeks. We did a freebie paper to around 1,000 extra households last week in hopes of trying to bump up our subscriptions even more and that one was a 14 pager (normally I'm around a 10 pager). This week, I have a 12 page regular paper, plus an 8 page graduation insert.

AAAAHHHHH! We decided to do the grad insert all in color - which includes color ads. The gal in the office sold 40 ads for the insert and the creator of all ads is? You guessed it! Me! In addition, we have two more pages in the regular paper for a neighboring school that was 25 more color ads. So, I have been the Ad Queen this past week, putting in a lot of extra hours.

It's Monday and I haven't even really looked at the normal part of my paper because I've been busy with that darn insert. This week, I'm hating that I have to work on a deadline. I don't get the luxury of saying, oh, I'll get to that in a few days or next week. Nope. I don't get this thing to press on time and I'm going to have some angry old folks calling me up wanting to know where there paper is. On the flip side, it's nice to know that they love the paper that much that they panic when it doesn't arrive at its regularly scheduled time.

Just breathe! That's what I told myself last Monday and it will be my motto again today. The paper will get done. It always does. And, it's going to look amazing (fingers crossed!).

Thanks for letting me vent. Happier thoughts to come later in the week! I promise! :)

No comments: