Sunday, August 16, 2015

The way I see it...

**Note: This was a column I wrote for the paper a couple of weeks ago.  I actually had a few people contact me to tell me that it was just what they needed at the right time.  
I love when what I write resonates with somebody.  **
Choose Happy
Last Friday I came home from my morning workout and my hubby had the news on.  I watched as they talked about a movie theatre shooting.  And then it was something else sad and then another depressing thing.  It just shifted my mood into a bad place.

I decided last Friday that I was going to focus on the happy stuff.  I had a good workout and good conversation with friends.  When I was in the shower, I could hear all four of my kids singing a popular song over and over and over again and it put the biggest smile on my face.  The kids drew pictures for my grandma and grandpa in Minnesota who are making the big change from living on their own to assisted living.  We sent them a little package of photos and drawings.  I had also printed some photos from Easter of my Uncle Brad, who was so awesome with the twins and took them on countless tractor rides on the farm, so we sent him some happy mail too.  I hope they are both surprised when they get it!

I saw this quote yesterday that said, "You can't always choose the path you walk in life, but you can choose the manner in which you walk it."  That is something I strive for every day.  Some days I succeed and some days I don't.  Some days I have a positive attitude and some days I'm just a cranky mess.  I am a work in progress, but aren't we all?

A college student we have met through dance marathon sent me a message and said she appreciated how I always try to see joy in every situation.  I thought to myself, is that how she sees me?  Wow.  That made my day.

Sometimes I just remind myself I have been through too much crappy stuff to let the little stuff bother me.  Sometimes it does, no matter how hard I try, but perspective is a great thing.  Have a great week readers.  I hope it's a happy one, but that's just the way I see it.  

No comments: