Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The way I see it...

Sit Down Meals
I got to thinking (scary, I know!) about something the other day and wanted to run this question past you readers out there. Here’s my question to you: Do people make it a priority nowadays to have sit-down meals together?

I remember growing up we did MOST of the time, but as I’ve mentioned before, I had two head coaches as parents, so life was a little crazy at times. I remember Sundays were a must though. It might have included grandma and grandpa, aunts and uncles and a slew of cousins, but having a meal together was something special (especially if grandma was cooking, which she usually was).

I remember when my husband and I got married. We didn’t use our wedding gift kitchen tables and chairs unless we had company. I know, that’s terrible. Even when we had our daughter, we seldom sat at the table and instead just ate in the living room (again, terrible, I know).
Both of our kiddos eat at the table now with us, but the tricky part is that it’s adjacent to the living room. You see where I’m going with this? Living room = television. From my seat, I can’t see it and neither can my son, but my husband and daughter can. And, it’s on about 95% of the time during supper. I know, I know, that’s a really bad thing!

I’m hoping some of you out there can relate. Do you all have meals around the table? If so, do you have a t.v. on throughout? What’s so bad about actually taking time to eat together and actually have a conversation with each other? Find out what happened that day? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I think I may have just talked myself into writing a “no t.v. during mealtime” policy for the Burdorf household. I’m sure I will be met with opposition, but they’ll get over it! I think this is one of those important things/values/experiences I want to pass along to my kids, but that’s just the way I see it.

2 comments:

Brooke Stevens said...

Hmmmm this makes me think. It's hard for us to have sit down meals with Brad's schedule when he goes to work at 6(we don't like to eat before 6 and Brad starts getting ready at 5:00-5:15) but most of the time when he is off work or home on break we all sit at the table for meals. When Camden was younger we did the same thing, sat in the living room watching tv!
There are times when we are all at the table and Camden hears something on tv he has to run and see whats on(we can't see the tv, just hear it)So I think we are going to try turning the tv off during meals too...great post Jame!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post dear daughter--yes having meals together has always been a priority to your dad and I. Family time, keeping the unit together though it was tough and yes bringing the entire family together when possible. Keep up the good work. Loved the pics of the kids, Jenna's tumbling videos...what does Jamie do for herself????????????? Love you, Mom