Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Low iron and more labs

Last time I blogged, I told you at the end that Blake's labs were ok except for his creatinine.  Well...I didn't realize that some of his labs didn't come back until the next day, which was Thursday.  On Thursday, Blake had a hematology check-up to make sure the blood clot in his leg is still ok from when he was septic.  We have an ultrasound done every three months.

I picked-up the twins from preschool and headed to Iowa City.  I got south of Cedar Rapids when I heard from Aaron that Blake's iron was extremely low.  I asked how low and he said 15.  That is one number I don't know off the top of my head what normal is.  Aaron said normal is 200!!!  Yikes.  I immediately got in touch with our nurse and asked if she could check if there was an opening for Blake to get an iron infusion since we were heading down to UIHC.  Thankfully it worked out! 
 The low iron was a total lightbulb moment.  We thought Blake had been so tired because of his cold, but it was due to his low iron.  He had been sleeping so much!  He wasn't overly thrilled about the infusion (above), but did great and is getting better about having his port accessed.

Today I thought Blake seemed to have more energy and the preschool teachers commented on that to me too.  They could see that he hasn't been himself lately.  Poor kid.  I miss his orneriness!

So, the plan is to recheck his creatinine tomorrow (Wednesday), along with his prograf level (another kidney number).  Praying that his creatinine goes back down to normal!  We will most likely do another iron infusion on Nov. 3rd when we go back down for an appointment.  Oh!  And, his blood clot was unchanged, so that's a good thing.
*******************************************
I also thought I would share a couple photos from our weekend.  We had a busy weekend!  Jenna had a basketball game, Brody had a basketball game,  Aaron had to go to Des Moines to ref and Jenna had a couple volleyball matches on Saturday.  Aaron coaches Jenna and Brody's basketball team and I helped coach the volleyball team.  Needless to say, we had to divide and conquer.  I had a glimpse into what our life will be like when we are running in 26 different directions! 

We also were invited to a fellow ISU dance marathon kiddo's 4th birthday/mini-miracle, which involved Cy.  I know, I never thought we Hawkeye fans would be chillin' with Cy, but we did.  Blake wanted nothing to do with him, but Bowen, the one kid of mine that I think could end up a Cyclone fan loved him. 
 Brody's dribbling the ball in his very first basketball game ever.  That his mom missed! (sob)
 Jenna did really well in her volleyball matches.  It was third and fourth grade, so the fact that our team was good at serving made all the difference.  I didn't get a picture of her in her basketball uniform, but she did well in that too and I was proud of her!
This picture is from today.  After preschool the twins and I walked to the library and played on the playground.  Blake was smiling and giggling, something that has been few and far between the last 7-10 days and I have missed that!  Here's to good labs tomorrow.  I will let you know how they go!

No comments: