Friday, February 10, 2012

Dehydrated=Iowa City

After battling to keep Blake's feeds down for five days at home, his vitals were all over the place on Tuesday morning. Aaron came home to get Jenna, I told him what was going on and he said, "I think we need to go to Iowa City. We've done all that we can do." I agreed completely. We had done everything Dr. Jetton and the nurses asked of us and he still wasn't getting better.

We think it might have started as a bug, but ended as Blake just being dehydrated. With the dialysis, it pulls off your extra fluids. When it has nothing left to pull off, it in turn makes you sick to your stomach. What happens when you're sick to your stomach? Right. You PUKE.

Aaron took Blake to Iowa City where the two stayed from Tuesday until Thursday. After getting him rehydrated, he tolerated his feeds much better. It was night and day the Blake that left and the Blake that came home. He was so smiley, so chatty and so active. I missed him and Aaron so much! And so did Jenna, Brody and Bowen! Jenna gave Aaron the biggest hug when she walked through the door.

We also got some other Blake news while we were in Iowa City, but I'll save that for another post. I found this quote on another blog I follow. I swear, it just spoke to me. Every word of it is so true. It was a tough week here. We love our family of six, but it's stressful at times. I cried this week. Three times. Sometimes I just have to. This quote made me feel better. :)

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassions, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
--Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad it was a short visit for you! It was nice to meet you and Blake briefly. I feel a little like a stalker, but Dr Jetton had said I might want to see who was walking around the hallways in case anyone I knew was nearby. It was good to put faces to names.

Mandy Hunecke said...

So glad you are all together once again!! Welcome home Blake!