Friday, August 26, 2016

Tonsils and Adenoids Out

Blake is officially tonsil and adenoid free!  Yay for that!  We had pre-op appointments yesterday and he was kind of coughing and had a runny nose and I was worried they would cancel, but since his tonsils were so huge, they were pretty adamant that we had to go through with the surgery STAT.
Blake was second case this morning and went in about 9:45 AM.  I felt terrible because he's older now and so darn smart.  He listens to what doctors and nurses say and he knows that maroon scrubs and green scrubs means surgery.  When he heard or saw something scary he would start crying.  It's terrible and pulls at my heart. 
 Aaron dropped the other three kiddos off at school and then came down with us for the day.  I was so glad he was here.  We met with the surgeon and the first thing she said was, "The surgery went smoothly."  *BIG EXHALE*  She did say that the nurse anesthetist, who's been on the job for 35 years said Blake had the biggest tonsils he had ever seen.  That's right, in 35 years.  Blake is #1.  Because, it's Blake....

The surgeon was pretty shook up about how obstructed his airway was.  She was very thankful that they fit him on the schedule so soon.  She said that if it would have been two more days he probably would have needed something to help him breath because the airway was just THAT restricted.  Scary to think about, but man am I thankful that Dr. Zepeda was adamant about getting those tonsils out so soon!!
After a long three hours in recovery, we got to go down to the regular floor.  He was drinking water and sprite and him and Aaron played play station together.  Then, he just slept and slept and slept, which he needed because he was having a heck of a time breathing at night.  

I went down to get something to eat and the smell of coffee from the Java House hit my nose and I looked around at the bustle of people around me and I'm telling you, it's like we were right back to where we were a couple years ago.  Like we hadn't had a two year break from this place.  It was kind of a weird, out of body experience sort of thing.

The first round of testing came back today and everything was negative, which is good news!  The scary stuff will take another week, so we're praying those are also negative.  

I just wanted to take the time to thank each and every one of you who sent me texts, facebook messages, snapchat messages or called to wish us luck and see how things went today.  You guys are the best.  I know you're thinking I'm just saying that, but I'm absolutely not just saying that.  I mean it from the bottom of my heart.  We couldn't get through this stuff without all of you.  Thanks for riding the rollercoaster on this journey with us!

The plan as of 9:16 PM tonight is to go home on Saturday, so let's hope Blake cooperates and sticks with the plan! 

1 comment:

Diane nelsen said...

God is Great! So happy everything went well!
The Nelsen's