Thursday, July 7, 2016

Full Fourth of July weekend!


We had a very full Fourth of July weekend!  We had plans every day.  The weather was kind of so-so.  The sun didn't shine and it wasn't overly warm for July, but at least we weren't sweating, right?!

Saturday we headed to my dad's.  The plan was to take the boat out on Lake Red Rock.  Mother Nature?  She thought rain was needed, so we were stuck inside.  My dad and Linda volunteered to take the kids to "Finding Dory," so Aaron and I got some peace and quiet.  Aaron took a nap, I worked on a couple of stories for the paper and watched a "Fixer Upper," marathon.  Excitement, I tell you. 

I did read a little bit, enjoyed a hot cup of coffee and my first strawberry short cake of the season while the kiddos were at the movie.  
Late afternoon the rain stopped and we were able to sit outside.  For supper, we just grilled hot dogs and made s'mores.  Also, please note the shirt my dad is wearing below.  Back to state in '98.  Haha.  I had to give him a hard time about wearing such a new shirt!

Jenna has been wrestling with a tooth for awhile.  I have been telling her she will lose it when she least expects it and sure enough, she did.  All it took was a bite into a hot dog. 
What you can't hear when you look at this picture of Blake is the John Phillip Sousa CD being played on my dad's speaker system.  That's right, Blake was directing his imaginary band while listening to "Stars and Stripes Forever." This kid LOVES bands.
We finished the night by sitting outside by the fire pit.  Jenna and I are kind of obsessed with the sky.  We love pretty clouds.  We love pretty sunrises and sunsets.  I spotted this and told Jenna we had to grab the camera and take a picture of this sky party.  Seriously, I'm in awe.  Absolutely no editing done to this photo.  Wow. 
  
 On Saturday we were invited out to our friend's house in the afternoon.  Despite the cooler temps, the kiddos (and daddy!)  got into their pool and went swimming.  You know kids, they don't care how cold it is!

To end the night we got into a very intense game of whiffle ball.  It started with the kids and then slowly more and more adults joined in.  It was so much fun!  I kept thinking - this is my childhood!  This is how you learn to play the game!  It was competitive and fun and I am sad to say I wasn't on the winning team, but it was a good workout. ;)

On the 4th of July we went to the Ames parade in the morning.  Being born and raised in Armstrong, Iowa means you have to go to a parade on the 4th.  Am I right?! 
Monday afternoon we headed home and Aaron got to work on the smoker.  He prepped the meat and got the coals and wood chips ready to smoke ribs and pork loin.  I'm not sure if you know this about my hubby, but he smokes the most delicious meat.  Seriously, his ribs are to die for!
We had a few people over to join us for supper and played bags and ladder golf.  I learned I cannot win at either. ;)  Don't be my partner, trust me on that.
      
We finished the night with a fire, s'mores (yes more of them!) and some sparklers. 
It wasn't quite dark yet when we did sparklers, but it had been an eventful three days and this mama was tired.
It was a good long holiday weekend.  Fourth of July is honestly one of my favorites.  I'm trying not to think about how the 4th is over and we're now on the backside of summer.  Nope.  I'm thinking about more time outside, more ice cream, more nights by the fire, more family time.  More FUN!




No comments: