Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The way I see it...

PEACE
On Monday one of my Facebook friends posted a video of Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing their famous duet, “Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth.”  I immediately listened to it because I love the message behind the song.
It’s interesting that the song was recorded in 1977 and it still rings true today.  I don’t think that I can be the only one that hates turning on the news these days.  It seems like every week there is another senseless tragedy where more innocent people are losing their lives.
Jenna and Brody are getting to the age where they are obsessed with watching the news.  They get that from Aaron.  The night of the San Bernadino shootings, Aaron wouldn’t change the channel and I wanted to watch the lighting of the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.  Happy stuff, you guys, that’s where my mind was.
Anyway, having a nine and seven year old watching the news is hard.  As a parent, you want to shield them as much as you can, but living in a bubble is just not reality.  I am proud of them that they like to be informed and want to know what’s going on in the world.
I  hate when they look at me and say, “Mom, why would somebody do that?  Why would they shoot all those people?”  Parenting is hard, especially when you don’t know the answers.
Take a moment to read and think about the lyrics from the song:

Peace on Earth, can it be?
Years from now, perhaps we'll see
See the day of glory
See the day when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again
Peace on Earth
Can it be?
Every child must be made aware
Every child must be made to care
Care enough for his fellow man
To give all the love that he can
I pray my wish will come true
For my child and your child too

Those words are timeless.  The world definitely needs more peace right now.  More caring for others.  More turning off the news and holding the ones you love tightly and focusing on them, but that’s just the way I see it.

No comments: