Friday, January 7, 2011

The way I see it...

Live and Learn
I love quirky little books with quotes or words of advice. Since my grandma knows me so well, she got me this great little book entitled, “Live and Learn and Pass It On.” As soon as I had a chance, I sat down and started going through it. Inside, I found a compilation of things men, women and children, ranging in age from 5 to 95, have learned. Some are more serious and some more comical. I thought for my column this week I would share some of my favorites.
*I’ve learned that it doesn’t cost anything to be nice. --Age 66
*I’ve learned that no matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides. --Age 58
*I’ve learned that I should never praise my mother’s cooking when I’m eating something fixed by my wife. --Age 27
*I’ve learned that you can’t hide a piece of broccoli in a glass of milk. --Age 7
*I’ve learned that I wish my mother hadn’t let me stop taking piano lessons. --Age 41
*I’ve learned that the worst pain is watching someone else in pain. -- Age 46
*I’ve learned that the quickest way to appreciate other people is to try and do their job. --Age 51
*I’ve learned that if your life is free of failures, you’re probably not taking enough risks. --Age 42
*I’ve learned that how you do your work is a portrait of yourself. --Age 64
*I’ve learned that if you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always gotten. --Age 51
*I’ve learned that if you can’t forgive and forget, you can at least forgive and move on. --Age 77
*I’ve learned that there’s never a snow day on the day I have a big test. --Age 12
*I’ve learned that deciding who you marry is the most important decision you will ever make. --Age 95
*I’ve learned that you can’t expect your children to listen to your advice and ignore your example. --Age 51
*I’ve learned that if you want to know who’s the boss in a family, just check to see who holds the TV remote. -- Age 48
*I’ve learned that everyone can use a prayer. --Age 72
*I’ve learned that you can’t please some people no matter what you do. --Age 35
*I’ve learned that a person’s greatest need is to feel appreciated. --Age 46
*I’ve learned that being a good mother is the best occupation you could ever have.
--Age 35
*I’ve learned that the secret of success in business is surprisingly simple: give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully. --Age 73
*I’ve learned that the important thing is not what others think of me, but what I think of me. --Age 38
*I’ve learned that my teacher always calls on me when I don’t know the answer.
--Age 9
*I’ve learned that you can tell how good a parent you were by observing your children with their children. --Age 82
*I’ve learned that goldfish don’t like jello. --Age 5
*I’ve learned that people can change, so give them the benefit of the doubt. --Age 14
*I’ve learned that sometimes life hands you situations when all you can do is put one foot in front of the other and live moment to moment. --Age 66

I hope you enjoyed these little tid-bits and they gave you something to think about. I’ll leave you now with the one that stuck out to me the most: I’ve learned that it pays to believe in miracles, but that’s just the way I see it.

No comments: