Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The way I see it...

This Weather!
Isn’t it crazy that in this day and age with all the technology that we have that what happened with Monday’s weather happened? I heard words like “light dusting” or “under an inch.” Well, that wasn’t the case, was it? I heard one meteorologist say the storm “surprised” them. I’ll say!

We woke up to several inches of snow and that wind. I guess that’s the bad part of living in Iowa is that it’s so darn flat and just a little snow and the wind can cause blizzard conditions very quickly.My cousin’s husband works for the sheriff’s department in O’Brien County (Northwest Iowa) and she said they were just swamped all day. He was supposed to get off at 6 PM...then 9 PM...then 1 AM. I’m not sure if he got off of work then or not. He said they couldn’t see more than a couple of inches past their windshield and this was the worst storm they had ever worked in.

When Mr. Barry called our house this morning (Tuesday), he said that West Marshall had missed eight days now because of the weather. It will be interesting to see how many days end up being tacked on at the end of the year. I feel bad for the teachers because I’m sure it’s hard to get the students into a routine with all these late starts and snow days.

Just remember spring will get here sometime. We live here because, for better or worse, we get to experience the four seasons. Think of the beautiful colors in the fall, that Iowa humidity in the summer and the rows of corn along the roads. Iowa is definitely not for the light-hearted, but everything we endure during the winter makes us that much more grateful for the rest of the year, but that’s just the way I see it.

*Brooke, if I messed up where Brad works I'm sorry! I didn't have time to call you. :)

2 comments:

Mandy Hunecke said...

how true it is!

Brooke Stevens said...

You had it right when he worked....
Great article!