Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The way I see it...

I got a request (you know who you are!) that I put my weekly editorials on my blog because some people in my family don't get to see them. So, if it's something sort of interesting I will try to post them. My column is called, "The Way I See It" and I always end every column with that line to remind people that whatever I wrote is just my opinion. :) Here's this week's:

My Heart is full...
It was a rough week for me, as you can imagine. We had the visitation for my grandma on Wednesday and the funeral Thursday. Swea City, where everything took place, is just eight miles from where I grew up. I could not believe the amount of people that came over in support and to pay their respects to our family from Armstrong.

Then, I got back and went to the basketball game on Friday. So many of you passed along your condolences and I even got some hugs. You all were just so nice. My heart felt full...my cup runneth over....whatever you want to say, I just felt so grateful and thankful to all of you out there for your support.

After my column last week, another wonderful thing happened. When I write my columns, I always hope to make you think about what I have to say or remind you of something from your past and bring up old memories. Apparently, my column about my grandma sparked memories for a few of you out there and it felt good that you shared your memories with me.

Although funerals aren’t really a happy occasion, the one thing that it usually does is bring families together. Our family, I’m sure like a lot of yours, struggles to all get together at the same time, because of everyone’s busy schedules. Even though it was a sad time, I got to see all my aunts, uncles, and cousins and catch-up with them. The really neat thing was that there were second cousins that I haven’t seen for, I kid you not, at least ten years. At the end of Thursday, we talked about having a family reunion in August.

I guess it just goes to prove that there are always two sides to every coin. Where there are clouds, there’s also sunshine. The best part is, I just know that my grandma, the rock and center of our family for so many years, was looking down at us smiling because she brought us together yet again, but that’s just the way I see it.

2 comments:

Mandy Hunecke said...

2 words- LOVE IT!

Couldn't agree more. I was(and probably still will) going to write about how funerals bring people together. Thanks for sharing this!

mandy said...

I completely agree that your grandma was smiling on all of us being together again! What a nice article once again Jamie!