Sunday, January 24, 2016

The way I see it...


Appreciation
Appreciate verb, to recognize the value of something
Appreciation noun, grateful recognition

I don't know if it was the holiday season, or the fact that Valentine's Day is right around the corner or because sometimes I get random stuff stuck in my brain that won't come out, but I've been thinking about those two words lately.

I've been thinking appreciation as it pertains to my life and all the parts of it – my family, my friends, my job and all the other stuff that goes in-between.

As I've said before, I am very, very lucky to have this job. It fits with my crazy family demands. Chris is the best at letting me just do what I need to do, when I need to do it, as long as that paper gets done every week. It's such a great thing to feel like what you do matters and I most definitely feel that way here at the paper.

At home, I've been thinking about little things I can do that my husband may appreciate. I know that I drive him nuts occasionally with things I do. For example, when I get done drying a load of laundry, I just leave it in the dryer until I absolutely have to take it out. Aaron will go to put his reffing stuff into the dryer and finds it full of clean, dry clothes. Bless his heart, he never says a word about it. I can always tell when he does laundry because I go to switch the laundry over and that dryer is always empty. I appreciate that.

I know Aaron appreciates that I let him sleep in on the weekends (most of the time) and I take care of all the Blake stuff – ordering meds, appointments, port supplies, I just keep track of it and get it done.

It's not about big stuff, is it? Appreciating people doesn't have to be some grandiose gesture either in recognition or act. Obviously, my examples prove that.

But what about those people that don't appreciate you? I say forget them. You keep doing your thing and being you and that's all that matters. I love this quote I found, “Your value doesn't decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth.” Let that sink in a minute. So much truth, right?

Is it hard when people don't recognize that you're doing something well? That you're going out of your way to be helpful? That you're going above and beyond? Of course it is. That doesn't change the fact that if in your heart of hearts, you know you're doing a good thing, that may just have to be enough.

My point is, be grateful and show your appreciation for the people in your life. Do things others will appreciate. I think it's safe to say that people who feel appreciated will always do more than what is expected, but that's just the way I see it.

No comments: